Thursday, August 13, 2015

Thursday Thoughts...A long week of missing folks and a growing daughter...

This week has been a rough one for many reasons. First, I'm coming off a week of overnights for my company. I'm not a great sleeper anyway so to have to completely reverse my sleep habits for one week and then get them back on track is pretty brutal. My work team has had a rough go of it for several weeks due to being short staffed so they're tired and a bit cranky. We've almost made it though and now we're only one person away from being full staffed. It's a good thing.

On a personal level, it's been much more difficult. My best friend Sarah passed away four years ago on the 12th. We lost my grandmother twenty one years ago today. It hit me yesterday that despite the two events being seventeen years apart, they both still hurt as if they just happened. The capacity of feelings the heart can hold is astounding. The length if time it maintains those feelings is even longer. You may not think on those feelings all the time, but they're there, simmering in the background.

My daughter turns thirteen in just over a week and she's grown both physically and emotionally a lot in the last couple years. She's genuinely a good kid who just needs a quick kick in the butt once in a while to remind her the world exists outside her bubble...LOL. Her first day of daycare was her second day of kindergarten and she looked so lost and worried that when I said goodbye I surprised her by giving her three quick kisses on the lips, an Eskimo kiss and then one on the forehead I rubbed in so it wouldn't fall off. She thought that was funny and it became our thing much to the amusement of those around us.

This week was the first time she ever hesitated to do it at bed time. I tried to hide my surprise and hurt but didn't manage it too well. She felt bad and I had to assure her that it was okay, she was growing up and we didn't have to do that anymore. So it's a hug and a kiss on the cheek and Mommy has to get used to it. Time moves on and changes are made.

Everyone groans when they hear I have a preteen and wishes me luck, tells me not to kill her and so on. I've never appreciated those comments as I believe our children are what we teach them. Are there rough times ahead? Of course! We all rebel and feel our parents don't understand us but there can still be a solid relationship under that to see you through.

So the week is nearly done and I'm ready for the weekend. I'm picking what story I want to work next, self editing Legacy and getting ready for the Hot Mojave Knights Con the first weekend in October. It's exciting and nerve wracking as it's my first local con. I got this, and know it, but it doesn't ease the wait :0)

Have a fantastic rest of the week and a beautiful weekend!

-Lynn



No comments:

Post a Comment